Donors’ Incredible Impact This Year
THANK YOU, donors! Your donation to the Ed Foundation was instrumental in supporting Santa Monica students this year.
Your support was especially meaningful during this pandemic year. You helped make sure programs were available to all students, including ones that met needs specifically brought on by the pandemic.
I want to take a moment to share some of the impact YOU helped create this year. Here are some highlights:
- You and our generous match donors helped raise $95,000 for tutoring programs for homeless, foster and socioeconomically disadvantaged youth during distance learning. These programs helped 105 students at JAMS, Lincoln, Olympic and Samohi stay connected and keep learning, in spite of difficult circumstances.
- P.S. ARTS continued virtually at all 8 Santa Monica elementary schools. Faced with distance learning, art kits were provided for students to use at home so they could continue their art classes during the pandemic. Donations funded P.S. ARTS teachers and supplies that allowed students to express themselves through the arts.
- Instructional aides were essential during distance learning. They stepped in to do what they always do: help students learn. This year, that meant taking on the added roles of solving numerous technology problems, along with facilitating enhanced instruction in literacy, math and other crucial subjects in Zoom break-out rooms.
- 566 third graders received a recorder and music books of their own. These recorders are students’ introduction to the amazing and robust formal music program in SMMUSD. The outstanding bands, orchestras and choirs that are the pride of our district have their roots in these instruments. And it all starts with the recorder, thanks to donors!
- Hip hop teacher Robert Gillam brought virtual dance instruction to middle school students during distance learning. He also created the Moving Together Dance Series for families to have fun learning hip hop together at home!
- The live online Santa Monica Wine Auction raised $250,000 to fund programs and staff positions in Santa Monica schools next year. The event was a joyful celebration of our community’s support for students. You can watch the live online event on YouTube or check out some of the special videos from students and school leaders that were part of the event here.
You also helped make sure that … students explored the world in STEM programs, literacy programs helped young readers thrive, teachers attended important professional development, students shined on screen in virtual theater programs, mindfulness programs helped students manage the stress of this year … and SO MUCH more!
You made many impactful experiences possible for Santa Monica students. I can’t thank you enough.
I’m grateful that you are part of the team supporting Santa Monica’s kids.