College Essay Writing Class (Online)
Rising 12th graders, come join our online 2023 College Essay Writing Class!
For Rising 12th Grade Students Only
Choose 1 session:
- July 24-28, 9:00am - 12:00pm
- July 31-August 4, 9:00am - 12:00pm - FULL
- August 7-August 11, 9:00am - 12:00pm
Click here to register online and pay by credit card.
Click here to download registration form and pay by cash, check or money order.
Get a head start on your college essay – don’t stress about your college applications once school starts in the fall! In this workshop, you will learn some important tools about personal writing for an academic audience. We will examine various prompts and then delve into the writing process in order to have a solid working draft by week’s end. This is unlike most writing that you’ve done throughout high school and requires that you depict a clear personal voice. You want this essay to reflect your truest self! Come work in a small group setting with a fun and supportive teacher to discover how to do so!
About the Teacher
Kyle Koehler has been teaching high school English in California for the past 11 years and taught abroad for two years. Teaching personal writing, and specifically the college essay, is one of the things he does best. His greatest passion is supporting his students and helping students embark on this academic exploration of self.
Fees, Payment and Refund Policy:
- $575 for the one-week class, which includes a $50 non-refundable registration fee.
- Credit card fee: There is a 3% fee for all credit card charges (the total fee comes to $590)
- Returned check charges: There is a $25 fee for any returned check.
- We accept payment in cash, check, money order and credit card (Visa, MC, Discover, Amex).
- Payment in full is due at the time of registration and is required in order to complete the student’s class enrollment.
- Refund Policy: There are no refunds after June 2, unless the class is cancelled by the Ed Foundation. All requests for refunds must be made in writing (mail, fax or email) no later than June 2, 2023.
For students enrolled in SMMUSD’s free- and reduced-lunch program:
Some scholarships are available. The fee is $100 for free lunch students and $200 for reduced-fee lunch students. Please submit a copy of your student’s free or reduced lunch eligibility notification letter with your registration. If you do not have your letter, please contact Estella Mata in SMMUSD Food Services to obtain a new copy (firstname.lastname@example.org, 310-450-8338 x70228).
For students NOT in the free- or reduced-lunch program:
You can still apply for a scholarship!
Click here to apply (please save this application to your computer before completing it). Your application will be reviewed by an independent scholarship committee. Please email your application, along with a cover letter and a copy of your most recent W2, to email@example.com. You will hear back within two weeks if you qualify for a scholarship.
Students will need a laptop (either personal or a Chromebook already provided by SMMUSD).
The minimum number of students in each class is 6 students; the maximum number is 10. Once a class is full, a waiting list will be kept and you will be notified if we open another class section. If the Ed Foundation does not reach the minimum number of six students for a session, we will have to cancel that session; we can then move a student to another week if there is room, or if not, families will be refunded.
Questions? Contact Rachel Faulkner at 310-396-4557 or firstname.lastname@example.org